K9 (Dr Who) Cosplay MAsk PRoject

A few months ago a friend of mine mentioned that she wanted some headgear for a cosplay costume. I’m not a doctor who fan, so I had no idea what was involved when she said K9, but thought that maybe we could 3d print it. Got home pretty excited about having a new project and went to google to see what it was.

So it was the headpiece for this:

K9

Interesting!!  I decided that it did not had that many curves so it was probably something that I could do in openscad. Called my wife had her measure the dimensions of my head.  So I could use them has a base and started hitting it.  After about an hour or two I was here.

k9

I send that image to my friend and we talked about a few revisions that it could have. For example airflow is pretty constricted in here. So we decided to add some vents and that I was going to go ahead and get the ears modeled.  The vents became a bit tricky because substracting a lot of geometry became heavy for openscad. So I had to make them bigger till it was within the boundaries of what I could render. The final design was the following:

 

K9beforeslicing

So here we were it was modeled and it looked the way we wanted it to be. With that said there was no way that we could fit this into the print bed. So I measured my print volume and placed into openscad to make distinct stl’s. Ended up with Basically 10 stls 8 for the parts surrounding the head and 2 for the nose. Some of the sides where interesting to print because they consumed the entire bed of the printer. I printed at lowest resolution due to the size of the printe with that said still ended with at least  one 28 hour print.

Nose top printing

IMG_0247

Parts stacked

IMG_0249

Testing the volume limits of my printer – printing the sides

IMG_0253

So yeah it was an experience to print it. I basically finished an entire roll of hatchbox most of it was at 60% infill since it was going to be worn I wanted for it to be solid. So after about 130 hours of printing and one z end stopper that broke halfway thru it I was done printing.

_DSC0527

So got some loctite extra strength and started the gluing process. Once we got to this point we started checking to see if the face actually fits inside of the mask. We realized something, the measure we got was not accounting for ears. So we decided that we would not make it completely closed and use a strap in the back and bend the sides to fit(A bit of a spoiler that plan worked).

_DSC0529

So here it is all glued together.

_DSC0530

I delivered it in this state and let them do the finishing touches since I had ran out of time and they needed it for the Providence comic con. Here is the final piece(Aparently the ears fell during the con).

                                      maskworn

So things ended up pretty well with that said learned a few lessons:

1. Make sure to measure ears or use a model of a head when modeling head gear.

2. Try to slice parts to maximize volume. I think some better alignment on the bed would had help with printing the nose on one piece.

Hope this was worth reading.

Oh yeah before I forget you can find the files in thingiverse at:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1133842

Getting started with OpenScad

Last year I did the whole series in blender modeling and creating small movies this year I’m getting back to my jewelry roots and going to start printing item using: https://www.shapeways.com
In terms of software I decided to use openscad since its similar to coding
http://www.openscad.org/
Install super simple
Save a file and press F6 and you will have your first rendered item

Decided to get started and for my first project I’m not really doing a sponge holder but a ScotchBrite sponge holder.

I started creating the shape little by little after measuring and creating the pieces the code ended like the one below I have commented all lines for anyone that wants to understand.

//My code after the second iteration

wallThickness = 10;

union()

{

//Squared holder for cleaning scrubs

cube([114.3,76.2,25.4]);

//first wall

translate([114.3,-35,0]) cube([wallThickness,146,50]);

//second wall

translate([-wallThickness,-35,0]) cube([wallThickness,146,50]);

//Third wall

translate([0,-35,0]) cube([124,wallThickness,50]);

//Last Wall

translate([0,96+(wallThickness/2),0]) cube([124,wallThickness,50]);

}

On my original upload shapeways told me that my file the cheapest to print it would be $600 dollars which surprised me a bit and I realized it was because I had set my wall to 25 milimeters which were pretty thick and using a lot of material. I changed the thicknes to 10 milimeters befor trying again

The upload was incredibly straightforward just clicked in export to stl and head towards printing. 

Once i did those changes the prices changed to about $45 dollars so i decided still not to print since i had a budget of $35. On my next post i will talk about my second test.